Why you need BC building permits
BC building permits are required if you plan to construct, renovate, demolish or change the use of a building. Each municipality and district in BC has their own permitting policies and processes. BC building permits are a step to ensuring the safety of your family and guests, protect the investment of your property, and keep you in compliance of local regulations and building codes.
When might you need BC building permits?
- Construct any new building, accessory building, or structure
- Make alterations, additions, repairs to an existing building or structure
- Complete a previously unfinished area in an existing building
- Make interior structural renovations
- Demolish or relocate a building or structure
- Locate or relocate a manufactured or mobile home on a lot
- Remodel or construct a deck
- Construct a swimming pool
- Install or alter plumbing within a building or structure or on a property
- Connect to a municipal water, sanitary or storm sewer system
- Install a new chimney or fireplace
- Enclose your carport or change your garage to living space
- Build a retaining structure 5 feet or more in height
- Change the use/occupancy of an existing building, (i.e., from office to retail)
Need a BC Building Permit?
We have over 40 years of experience providing accurate, reliable surveys. All Bennett Surveyors are certified by the BC Land Surveyors Association.
Request a free quote or contact our main office or the regional office best situated to serve you:
Surveying Services for BC Building Permits
Bennett Land Surveying provides the following services to support your building permit application and can help you move efficiently through the building permit application process in most BC jurisdictions:
Home renovations require a survey which shows the house location on the property, similar to a mortgage certificate. Enough topographical detail needs to be included in order to allow the municipality to determine that the finished renovation will comply with building zoning requirements.
Renovating homeowners often request that we acquire more than the minimum amount of topographical detail to satisfy municipal requirements. The advantage of more information is essential in the retention or enhancement of particular landscape features.
BC Building Permit Guides
Here are guides to building permits created by some of the BC jurisdictions where Bennett does business:
Gulf Islands, BC
Powell River, BC
West Vancouver, BC
Contact Bennett Land Surveying
We have over 40 years of experience providing accurate and reliable As-Built Surveys. All Bennett Surveyors are certified by the BC Land Surveyors Association.
Contact our main office or the regional office best situated to serve you: